Family > Spouse Visit

Assuming you are studying in the US., and would like your spouse to come to the U.S. to visit you, here are things you need to do:



  • Ask your department to issue a letter stating that you are a full-time student in good standing.
  • Go to the International Student Office of your school to see if they could issue an invitation letter on your behalf. They at least can provide you with information on things your need to prepare to help your spouse get visa. If you want them to issue an invitation letter with your spouse's name on it, your probably need to provide an English translation of your marriage certificate or notorization.
  • Write a normal letter to your spouse inviting him or her to come to the U.S. for a visit. It should be like your normal letter, in the normal language your would use.
  • Go to your bank to get a letter indicating the amount of money you have in your bank account to support your spouse's visit. You typically need $6000 to $10000 to support a short visit of up to three months.
  • Mail all the above, plus photocopies of your passport, visa, and your I-20 form to your spouse.
  • Your spouse needs to make an appointment with the US Consular in China, and bring the above plus your marriage certifcate for a visa application.

Good luck!

ChineseInUS Homepage
Related Information

Contact Us

Copyright © 2000-2011 by All Rights Reserved. Contact Us.